Categories
Community Fall Suppers Food

Christ the King – Fall Supper

Last night I made it out to Christ the King Catholic Church for my first fall supper of the year. It was part of a big food day, as my lunch for the day involved taking part in our Fall BBQ at St. Philip’s. With various bits of running around and visiting I didn’t really…

Categories
Community Food ManyFest Mobile Food

Donuts, Coffee, Beer N Chips

Despite the title making it seem like I may have some sort of culinary death wish, it’s simply a description of my day Saturday. I was up early and headed out to Fools + Horses. Fool + Horses is my favourite writing spot, and I was there to chronicle my experiences on the first day…

Categories
Community Food theology

Famine and Feeding Five Thousand

Since I finished doing my Eucharistic Eating lecture series in Lent, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about hunger. Recently I’ve taken it a little farther and have been reading up on famine. Below is an expanded reflection on the sermon I preached last Sunday, on the Feeding of the Five Thousand as it…

Categories
Community Food

New Home With Garden Plots

*A word of warning, this post about my new home and gardening, may wander a bit. I hope you will stay with me, and in the end find that it does indeed all connect together. If you have stories about receiving or sharing a garden’s bounty please feel free to leave them in the comments…

Categories
Food Common Eating Community

Stone Soup Sharing, Caring

This year marks the 5th Annual Stone Soup Fundraiser. The Stone Soup Fundraiser serves to raise money to support the programs of the Child Nutrition Council of Manitoba. The council is a volunteer organization that lends support to schools that run breakfast and other feeding programs in their schools. (what goes into a program can be…

Categories
Reviews and Such Books Common Eating Community

Berry: Bringing it to the Table

If you write about food long enough the name Wendell Berry will eventually come up. Berry, a Kentuckian, is a farmer, poet, novelist, and food activist. Bringing it to the Table: On Farming and Food. brings together some of his thoughts on those subject spanning the last four decades. Bringing it to the Table is a collection of…

Categories
Food Community

Blogger Night Out – Bouchee Boucher

About 6 weeks ago, I reviewed Bouchee Boucher, the new restaurant just down the street from St. Philip’s.  A little while later I received an invitation to a blogger evening at the restaurant. Naturally, having enjoyed myself previously, I made sure to set aside the time to attend.The evening started at 6 pm. Upon entering…

Categories
Community Music

Vinyl Revival – Open Mic Night

Last Wednesday after work, I grabbed a bus and headed out to Vinyl Revival. Vinyl Revival, is a record shop, music school, performance site, and coffee shop all rolled into one. VR,as it is also called, is located in the old Tredwell’s Music store site just behind the Safeway at Pembina and McGillivray,  Many years ago…

Categories
Community

Fighting Mac – Remembrance Day

Events of Remembrance Day caught up with me, and so I’m publishing this reflection on my Great-Grandfather William “Fighting Mac” McKenzie a couple of days late. In a few hours I will have the honour of leading the Remembrance Day service at St. Philip’s. As priest at St. Philip’s I also serve as padre for…